1: Guess who?
Customer: "I had a notification from SAGE for an upgrade but they also said some software patch had to be put on. Can you tell me if it's been done?"
Me: "By whom? Us or Sage"
Customer: "I don't know I've been off for two days."
2: I can't open it.
Customer: "I'm trying to do a scan and it says cannot open scanner."
Me: "But you only had a manufacturer engineer out yesterday and they was working fine?"
Customer: "I know."
Me: "Silly question, the scanner is on I take it?"
I give up.
3: Ghost in the machine.
Customer: "Is Dave there?"
Me: "No, he was with you?"
Customer: "Oh, they left a while ago. I need to know if they sent an email while they was here. XYZ says I sent an email cancelling some payments but I wasn't in at 1pm?"
Me: "With the greatest respect, why on earth would Dave do anything like that? And more importantly what has installing a printer got to do with emails?"
Customer: "Oh so you don't think it was him then?"
Me: "Er? no."
Is it home-time yet pretty please?
One server I poke around on, has a number of postfix instances
Interestingly, one instance was logging things like :Oct 26 22:02:05 mail postfix-blah/smtpd: connect from unknown[220.127.116.11] Oct 26 22:02:05 mail postfix-blah/smtpd: CA9292EE2C0: client=unknown[18.104.22.168]
Which makes you think perhaps Postfix isn’t able to do DNS lookups – even though it’s configured to do so.
After a bit of investigation —
- DNS resolution on the host itself works fine.
- Postfix is running smtpd in a chroot (see /etc/postfix-blah/master.cf)
- The ‘default’ Postfix instance (/etc/postfix, /var/spool/postfix) doesn’t have this problem.
- /var/spool/postfix-blah/lib doesn’t exist, but /var/spool/postfix/lib does and contains libnss_* files
- So, cp -a /var/spool/postfix/lib /var/spool/postfix-blah/lib fixes it.
- Turning off ‘chroot’ for the smtp daemon fixes it (edit: /etc/postfix-blah/master.cf).
The server is Ubuntu Lucid, so perhaps it’s a bit long in the tooth now – and maybe this problem won’t crop up for anyone else…
Engineer: "I know, especially when I have such a small penis?"
My daughter needs a new headlamp for her car and given my job is management I rang the garage on Monday, my last day off, and asked them if they could do the work on the Tuesday, the following day.
"Sure, no problem."
Now boys and girls there's a reason I rang on the Monday, can you guess?
Came to work in my daughters car and my garage says the supplier hasn't got a headlight so the work cannot be done until Wednesday!
Arbitrary tweets made by TheGingerDog up to 26 October 2014
- Hockey: Bromsgrove 3xi 2:1 Stafford. Good win. (CV @BromsgroveHC ) Stafford, West Midlands 2014/10/25
- RT You can fit all of the planets in our Solar System in between the Earth and the Moon -www.reddit.com/r/space/comments/2k60x6/did_you_know_you_can_fit_all_of_the_planets_in/
Lazy Saturday. Playing #Minecraft.
- RT Oh no! DOCTOR WHO has it now?! #QuarantineTheTARDIS
- RT Primo GIF work from your soaraway Metro twitter.com/TheMichaelMoran/status/525625686489579520/photo/1 2014/10/24
- RT Clearly my colleague @davejwalker14 is not concerned about #Ebola either…
- Cows miss all the parties …. #cartoon
- At school. Early. Suppose I have to do it once a term. West Midlands, England 2014/10/24
- RT No apology needed. x 2014/10/21
- RT Your daily horoscope. I hope it tells you what you need to know (via @ashenfaced)
- RT “Twitter will never, and should never, have any credibility with developers again.“ www.marco.org/2014/10/20/wsj-twitter-peace-offering 2014/10/21
- RT The turnaround is complete #mscloud #MicrosoftLovedLinux
- “Cheques not excepted” (seen in hairdressers …) #fail #grammar
- RT Invest on cycling. Saves lives.
- RT Good luck cyclists.
Why is my iTunes icon red?
Is it trying to get my attention for some reason? 2014/10/19